IT IS 2020!
THE NOT-SO DOWNTOWN MILE!
Kids race – 7:30 p.m.
Elite race – 7:50 p.m.
Open race – 8:15 p.m.
Thursday (8/27/20) – 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Johnson City Mall’s Food Court Entrance near the start/finish area on Shopper’s Lane.
To print a paper registration, click here.
250 PERSON LIMIT!!!!
Are you wondering what race to enter? Let us help you…
Kid’s Race (10 & Under) – Due to the participant’s ages of this race, this will be a shorter distance than a mile.
Open Race – All ages and ability levels welcome.
Elite Race – This race will be fast and more for the competitive level runner. These athletes may have qualified for Boston or run under a 5 to 7-minute mile. Top three male and female finishers will be the only awards given out for this race.
If you are interested in running the Elite Race and have questions, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include a brief bio in the e-mail.
This course is a USATF-Certified one-mile course. This will be a fast course and a great opportunity to set a PR, PB or state record.
2020 ELITE RUNNERS
- Brayden Hamblen (Johnson City, TN)
- Corey Henson (Glade Spring, VA)
- Steven Hensley (Bristol, VA)
- Matthew Leonard (Johnson City, TN)
- Evan Meeuwenburg (Johnson City, TN)
- Christian Watson (Bluff City, TN)
- Ryan Woods (Boone, NC)
- Andrew Campbell (Bristol, VA)
- Giovanni Demetrikopoulos (Johnson City, TN)
- Macy Carrier Gray (Bluff City, TN)
- Sophie Watts (Kingsport, TN)
- Whitney Elliott (La Follette, TN)
NO OFFICIAL AWARDS CEREMONY
** Please visit the awards tent to pickup your award after the race.
1st, 2nd & 3rd place overall male and female
1st, 2nd & 3rd place age group male and female
Overall male and female masters
Overall male and female grandmasters
1st, 2nd & 3rd place age groups
(11-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+)
Male and female
1st place overall $100
2nd place overall $50
3rd place overall $25
NEW COVID PROCEDURES!
PLEASE help us get races back in the area by assisting us with the following recommendations for the safety of all involved with this event. We want everyone to remain healthy and have fun.
- No race day registration with paper forms.
- Day of registrations: Participants will go to designated tent and verbally register for race. Payments will be through Venmo or Square. NO CASH OR CHECKS
- Contact-less packet pickup (minimal contact). Dynamic bib assignment which allows people to register from their laptop or smartphone up to race time. Crew members will hand bib to participant when they walk in and check them off on a laptop. Crew members/volunteers will abide by the protective guidelines provided by the State of Tennessee. We have the technology to minimize contact and keep people socially distant.
- There is plenty of parking around The Mall. We would suggest the former Sears parking area, Belks Women’s Store parking area or the parking area for the back entrance (DSW and Forever 21).
Check-in and packet pickup
- We will be spacing our tables/tents throughout the area with signage stating A-D, E-H, I-P, Q-S, T-Z, Race Day. These will be spaced all throughout the area to assist with social distancing.
- Hand sanitizer and mask stations will be available in the bib pickup area and throughout the race area.
- Race shirts will be ordered August 14. To guarantee your shirt during packet pickup, please register prior to that date. We will only order a few extra shirts but will do a reorder after race day. Shirts will then be available for pickup at one of the upcoming Johnson City Farmer’s Markets. ** Check with us on the schedule.
- Everyone will need to sign a waiver at the event
- Food Court restrooms will be open until 8 PM
- STAGING FOR DOWNTOWN MILE: The start line is located near The Mall food court entrance (see map). We will use the entire area to allow for staging of the waves.
- Each wave will be no more than 50 and will be properly spaced out for social distancing.
- We will be communicating updates to the registered participants closer to the race.
- Runners should not run in packs of more than 4. Runners should keep socially distant during the race. Do not draft on other runners.
- Runners are to bring their own water or fluid. No water stations on the course.
- Masks are not required during the race. We encourage you to wear a mask when not racing.
- No dogs in any of the races
- ONLOOKERS FOR DOWNTOWN MILE: Will be allowed to space out along the route
- 7:30 PM Kid’s race
- 7:50 PM Elite race
- 8:15 PM Open race
- No post race food and limited bottles of water.
- We will play music before and during race but shortly after the last person, we will close the event.
Results and awards
- When the runners finish they will receive a text message with their time and finish result. They can also check their results on-line on their smart phone or when they get home. No results kiosks
- No awards ceremony. Awards can be picked up at the designated tent near the finish line. We will recognize the Elite top three male and female.
- After finishing runners avoid congregating in groups (10 or less).
The good old days!!
Want to volunteer? Need community service hours? Sign up here!
- $20 Nov. 27 - August 26
- $25 Race Day
- $20 until Jan. 31
- $25 Feb. 1 - March 31
- $30 April 1 - August 26
- $35 Race Day
- $20 Nov. 27 - Jan. 31
- $25 February 1 - March 31
- $30 April 1 - August 26
- $35 Race Day
2019 Elite Mile Champions
Overall Male – Wesley Robinson 4:30
Overall Female – Jacquelyn Crow 5:11
2019 Open Mile Champions
Overall Male – Samuel Bratton 5:07
Overall Female – Katy Neubert 5:51
2018 Elite Mile Champions
Overall Male – Simeon Roberts 4:23
Overall Female – Hannah Segrave 5:01
2018 Open Mile Champions
Overall Male – Zachary Hasseler 5:16
Overall Female – Cassandra St John 5:41
2017 Elite Mile Champions
Overall Male – Austin Whitelaw 4:29
Overall Female – Gina Rouse 5:09
2017 Open Mile Champions
Overall Male – Dave McDaniel 5:00
Overall Female – Gabrielle Mardis 6:07